DiLello, longest cocktail party feat. Pretty Green

Pretty Green crowned Drapers Brand of the year!

Pretty Green store opening in London, Carnaby Street

Pretty Green beginning

Pretty Green beginning
Milan

Paul Weller, in mod we trust

Monday, November 14, 2011

LONDON - "I swear Noel’s obsessed with me,” says Paul Weller, with a sly smile. “Honestly, he’s always mentioning me in interviews.” He’s responding to the Weller-comments in ShortList’s recent interview with Noel Gallagher. But the former Oasis guitarist isn’t the only rocker you could accuse of having a Modfather fixation.
Since he snarled on to the scene with The Jam nearly 35 years ago, he’s cast an impeccably tailored shadow over pop culture as an icon of music, style and singular hairstyles. So it’s no surprise that Liam Gallagher has enlisted him to design his own Pretty Green capsule line. But does this foray into fashion mean the 53-year-old’s quitting music? Not a chance…

You’ve got a new collection on Liam’s label. Does that make him your boss?

[laughs] Yeah, I’m working for Liam. Working for the man. Nah, he hasn’t really been involved, but I showed him the stuff and he likes it. [Pretty Green] made a suit for me last year when I was playing the Royal Albert Hall and it all went from there.

How important is what you wear to your music?

I grew up in a time when music and clothes were intertwined. If you liked a band’s music you liked the way they looked, their haircuts, their attitude and their influences. It was all one and the same. I don’t know if that exists today, but it was a real obsession for me and people of my generation. It went on at least until the end of the Seventies and maybe into the Eighties, but everything comes and goes so quickly now. Bands don’t last any more, but the fashions seem to stick around forever.

What are some of the common style errors men make today?

Two-piece suits with trainers. I’m not having that at all. It seems to be a bit of an old, 60s rock-star thing. You see Ronnie Wood, Keith [Richards] and Macca doing it. I don’t know if it’s just that you get to that age and think, “God. I just want to wear something comfortable.” Hopefully it’ll never happen to me, because there are certain things you just shouldn’t do. Tracksuits have their place in the gym, but day-to-day and on the high street? Nah, I’m not having that either.

Who do you rate, style-wise?

That Brian Cox looks pretty good. I like him. ‘The Mod Professor’. He’s got good hair.

Would you go the Wayne Rooney route if you started losing your locks?

What, a transplant? Probably, yeah. That or some wigs.

Noel also had a few things to say about the quality of your tea-making...

Listen, Noel’s got a lot of stories, but how many of them are actually true is another matter. He’s from that Manchester school of bullshit, bless his heart. He’s got lots of stories and theories but few of them are rooted in truth.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

posts